08 May 2005

Believe it or not, I went on a date to Kill Bill Vol. I AND II at the Castro theater. I think this is number 3 on the most time I spent in a movie theater (after The Godfather Part 1 and 2 and Branaugh's Hamlet).

I finally have an opinion on Vol. 1. If the gross dial was turned from 11 down to 9 or 8 I would absolutely love the movie. As it is, there's just too much of it I find unpleasent. But the moments. There were just so many times I'd start smiling 5 seconds before they came, there are just so many perfect little moments in that film.

I didn't think that Vol. 2 held up well in comparison to Vol. 1. I still think Vol. 2 is the better film, but seeing it right after Vol. 1 made it look so muted in comparison.

On the other hand, my date -who hadn't seen either before- is not able to distinguish the two and now thinks of them as one continuous film. I found it very very hard to do that, because they feel so different to me.

Incidentally I am highly annoyed that iTunes music store doesn't have the Nancy Sinatra "I Shot My Baby (Bang Bang)." I want to pay for music but the stupid music companies won't let me.

No comments: