08 May 2005

I also saw Hitchhiker's Guide this week. I'm sad to report that for the first time in my life I'm that guy, you know the one who can't like the movie cause the book was so much better. I didn't like seeing something that dear to me turned into a string of GWB jokes and romantic comedy.

Or maybe it's just that I've grown up and wouldn't love the books as much if I met them for the first time.

Or perhaps there's something wrong about seeing something new, but where you already know half the lines. You don't get the joy of discovery or the joy of recognition.

They did, however, do a pretty good job of casting. In particular, vis-a-vis Tricia McMillian, I wish more movies made an effort to have actresses who are simultanously dorky look and really cute. Slate has a review of another film this week which has a line that nails what I mean:
she's just the sort of beauty whose self-effacing vibe would make her less than magnetic to really handsome guys and madly irresistible to nerds—who think that maybe, just maybe, they'd have a shot.

No comments: